Basil has been highlighted in the kitchen for centuries, and is a personal favorite of mine. Along with its culinary benefits, basil can also benefit the mind and body. Basil is rich with linalool, a naturally occurring chemical which is beneficial in decreasing feelings of tension when applied to the temples, and reducing anxious feelings when diffused. Diffusing Basil oil can also help with mental alertness and focus.
Basil Oil Uses and Benefits
- Apply a few drops to any achy areas after sports or working out. It will provide a cooling sensation that will help those muscles relax and provide relief.
- Unwind with a fantastic, light massage using Basil essential oil. Add Basil oil and Wintergreen oil together and mix them with a carrier oil (like Fractionated Coconut Oil). Massage this blend into the back of your neck (or have a friend do it). This will help relieve stress and provide relaxation. The Basil dispels tenseness and is cooling to the skin.
- Basil oil can help relieve the discomforts associated with a menstrual cycle, such as intense aches and muscle cramps. Try putting one drop of Basil oil into a Veggie Capsule and take internally to provide soothing support during a menstrual cycle.
- Diffuse Basil oil to promote mental alertness and to lessen anxious feelings. Try bringing your diffuser to work with you and diffuse Basil when you are feeling tense or are at the end of a long work day and need relief. A great blend in the diffuser would be a drop each of Lime oil, Bergamot oil, Peppermint oil, and Basil oil. This blend is particularly stimulating to your mood and very refreshing.
- And OF COURSE we can’t forget using Basil oil in your cooking. Watch the video and read on for some fantastic and easy recipes!
Basil Marinated Roasted Pepper and Manchego Sandwiches
Bring the flavors of Spain and Italy to your table with this delicious sandwich.
Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Add roasted peppers and coat in the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours. Assemble sandwiches by layering arugula, Manchego, roasted peppers, and more arugula on the bottom half of the ciabatta bread…then drizzle with the marinade. Top with the top half of the ciabatta and cut into individual servings.
Garlic Herb Canapés
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 rounded teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 drop Oregano Essential Oil
- 1 drop Thyme Essential Oil
- 1 drop Basil Essential Oil
- 1 French baguette
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix butter, garlic, essential oils, salt, and pepper together. Spread on sliced French bread. Garnish with diced tomatoes and freshly cut chives or onions. Salt and pepper to taste! See, I told you it was super easy!
Roasted Marinara Sauce with Oregano and Basil Oil
Making your own marinara sauce is both easy and nutritious. Eliminate preservatives by making homemade Roasted Marinara Sauce.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place tomatoes, onions, and garlic on baking sheet. Add salt, pepper, and olive oil to top of tomatoes and onion (generous helping). Cook 1-2 hours…until tomatoes and onions begin to darken around the edges. Transfer contents to food processor or blender. Pulse to desired consistency for your sauce. Add Basil and Oregano essential oils and stir.
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse in cold water. Combine all ingredients (except dressing) in a large bowl. Add dressing ingredients to a jar, screw lid on, and shake to emulsify (you could also use a blender to do this). Toss dressing with pasta to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers
You do NOT have to be vegetarian to enjoy these. What a delicious and great way to get your family to eat more veggies!
Makes 4 burgers.
Heat skillet/grill on medium heat. Add olive oil. Heat burgers 6 minutes on each side. When done, place patty on bottom bun, top with lettuce, tomatoes, and desired condiments.