One of my favorite things about essential oils is how cost effective they are for so many things! Today I’m going to focus on using them to clean your home. Keep in mind, each regular size bottle of the essential oils I use, holds 250 drops of oil. Here are my top 3 essential oils I use for cleaning, and how I use them:
#1 – “Cleansing Blend” (price = 7 cents/drop): This is a ready-made blend (you purchase it already mixed) of several different essential oil that are AWESOME for cleaning. It has a really “fresh” scent, that even people who don’t like smells tend to like (any of those in YOUR family?).
- Add 2 drops with your laundry detergent in your washing machine to every load. It gets even those really nasty smells out that tend to cling (ex. urine or campfire smoke).
- Add 2 drops to wool dryer balls, which you use in place of dryer sheets (which contain toxic chemicals). The dryer balls can be used for 3 loads before the scent wears off, and the dryer balls themselves last for more than 1500 loads!
- Add 3 drops to a diffuser (here is one I LOVE) to get rid of strong smells in the kitchen (think salmon, garlic, or bacon). Those things smell great when you’re cooking, but after you’re done with the meal, you usually want to get rid of them. That fishy smell really seems to linger. This essential oil takes care of that. If the smell is on your hands, you can also just put 1 drop on your palms and rub them together.
#2 – Lemon (price = 4 cents/drop): This oils is awesome at cutting through anything sticky (even getting gum out of hair!). Here are my favorite uses:
- Add a few drops to your damp mop to get all those gummy spots off your floor with ease…not to mention the FABULOUS clean scent you leave behind.
- Make your own non-toxic all-purpose cleaning spray by combining 30 drops of Lemon oil, 1 3/4 cups of water, and 1/4 cup of vinegar in a spray bottle. Not only is this great for clean-ups, but you can actually hand it to young children who want to help clean, without fear of them using toxic chemicals. Win! Win!
#3 – “Protective Blend” (price = 13 cents/drop): This oil is a ready-made blend that contains several oils. It has a scent reminiscent of the holidays (think cloves and cinnamon). It is FULL of antioxidants and is the perfect non-toxic replacement for whatever you use to clean bathroom surfaces, or the counter-top in the kitchen after handling raw meat.
- Mix up your own spray bottle of “kitchen and bathroom” cleaner by combining 30 drops of “Protective Blend” oil, 1 3/4 cups of water, and 1/4 cup of vinegar in a spray bottle. Even little children can use this safely!
- Diffuse for cleansing the air. This is GREAT to do before company arrives due to the wonderful spicy and sweet aroma.
Using essential oils for cleaning will not only save you money, but are an effective and non-toxic, chemical-free way to clean your home!